Dyson has been around for so long now. They’ve been producing premium, high-quality appliances including fans and air purifiers. And despite the hefty price tag, their products have become a cult favorite. The brand’s fans are usually dual-functions, if not triple. They are fans but they also, sometimes, double as a heater or an air purifier.
Dyson AM05 and Dyson AM09 are models from the brand’s Air Multiplier Series (AM Series). These machines are a fan + heater in one. They are capable of heating and cooling at the same time and these functions will come in handy when the weather changes from cold days to summer or vice versa.
The AM05 and AM09 are both great-looking devices. They have an innovative and classic design. Their design makes them appealing since it’s not common for fans to not have blades and awkward grills. They are powerful despite not having exposed fast-spinning blades and they are not loud that’s why even though they are expensive, they still receive positive feedback from customers.
If you want to learn more about these machines, you are on the right page. In this article, we will be discussing their differences, similarities, and specifications. And hopefully, after reading this, you will be able to find out which device suits you.
- 1 Differences between the Dyson AM05 and the AM09
- 2 Similarities between the Dyson AM05 and the AM09
- 3 Comparison Table
- 4 Comparing the Dyson AM05 vs AM09 in Detail
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5.1 Q. How hot can the units get?
- 5.2 Q. How many watts do they have?
- 5.3 Q. How well do the fans of the AM05 and AM09 work?
- 5.4 Q. Are the AM05 and AM09 energy efficient?
- 5.5 Q. Do the AM05 and AM09 get an Auto mode?
- 5.6 Q. Do the AM05 and AM09 get a retractable power cord?
- 5.7 Q. How tall are the AM05 and AM09?
- 5.8 Q. Are the remote controls infrared?
- 5.9 Q. How quiet are the fans?
- 5.10 Q. Do they have warranties?
- 6 What to like about the AM05?
- 7 What to like about the AM09?
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 Verdict
Differences between the Dyson AM05 and the AM09
- The AM09 is more expensive than the AM05.
- The AM09 is slightly bigger than the AM05.
- The AM09 is a tower type while the AM05 is a table fan.
- The AM09 has two mode options, Jet Focus mode and Diffused mode, while the AM05 does not have any mode.
- The AM05 does not have a Sleep Timer while the AM09 has access to the Sleep Timer feature.
Similarities between the Dyson AM05 and the AM09
- The AM05 and AM09 are both powered by Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology.
- The AM05 and AM09 do not support WiFi.
- The AM05 and AM09 have no visible heating elements and fast-spinning blades.
- The AM05 and AM09 automatically shut down when tipped over.
- The AM05 and AM09 have 10 airspeed settings.
- The AM05 and AM09 both come with a remote control accessory.
- The AM05 and AM09 are easy to clean and maintain.
- The remote controls of AM05 and AM09 can magnetically attach itself to the top of the device.
The table below provides the specifications for the AM05 and the AM09:
|Style||Desk and bladeless||Tower and bladeless|
|Dyson Air Multiplier technology||Yes||Yes|
|Jet Focus Control mode||No||Yes|
|Accessories||Remote Control||Remote Control|
|WiFi connectivity, Dyson Link App, and Alexa compatibility||No||No|
|Weight||5.2 lbs||8.6 lbs|
|Height||22.8 inches||24.9 inches|
|Price||Check on Amazon||Check on Amazon|
Comparing the Dyson AM05 vs AM09 in Detail
Dyson AM05 and AM09 are both very good looking fans. Their design is the first thing that you would notice on these fans. They have a bladeless design, constant to all Dyson fans. The blades of the AM05 and AM09 are not visible and are hidden on the base of the units. The iconic “bladeless” look makes them safer and much easier to clean and maintain than the traditional fans you see in the market. They also do not have a protection grill you usually find on average fans. Although they are very similar in terms of design, Dyson opted for a cleaner look when they made the AM09. They get rid of the buttons in the unit except for the power button, unlike the AM05 where you can adjust all the functions on the unit itself.
The AM05 and AM09 both have the same design but when it comes to dimensions, the AM09 is bigger than the AM05 and the internal specifications are more advanced–it has some features that are not available for the AM05 like the Jet Focus mode and the Diffused mode. The AM09 also has a Sleep Timer, unlike the AM05. The modes let you choose your desired direction and range of air. The Jet Focus mode is for when you want a direct and more focused airstream while you can activate the Diffused mode if you want a broader and wider air projection.
The AM05 and AM09 is powered by Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology which ensures long-range projection to circulate air across the room. They also have a smooth oscillation and they effectively make the room cooler as well.
In addition to its bladeless design, the AM05 and AM09 also have a Child Safe feature which automatically turns the device off when it’s knocked over–a great feature for when you have kids and pets who love to play and run around the house.
Both the AM05 and AM09 are a fan and heater in one. Their dual-functionality could come in handy because you won’t be needing a separate heater or a separate fan when the weather changes. You can just switch to heater mode when you are cold or activate the fan on hot days. They also get a 10 speed airflow setting that you could choose from. They are both relatively quiet as well but the AM09 is quieter compared to the AM05 and has been awarded the Quiet Mark accreditation by the Noise Abatement Society.
The AM05 and AM09 do not have WiFi connectivity and the only way you can control the device is through their remote controls–and the unit itself for AM05. All their functions and operations can be accessed through the remote control which makes it possible for you to control the device even without physically reaching for it. The remote controls are small and can sometimes be misplaced so Dyson designed the remote controls to have magnets so you can attach them on top of the units when not in use, that way you don’t have to worry about misplacing it.
The upgrades made by Dyson to AM09 makes it more expensive than the AM05. The AM05 will let you save a few bucks compared to the AM09.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How hot can the units get?
Both the AM05 and AM09 can effectively heat a small room but not to the point that you will get yourself burned from touching the surface.
Q. How many watts do they have?
A. The AM05 has 1500.0 watts while the AM09 has a 2000.00 watts.
Q. How well do the fans of the AM05 and AM09 work?
A. The cooling system of both the AM05 and AM09 works very well, however, keep in mind that they are not air conditioners and they work just like a fan but it blows like an air cooler.
Q. Are the AM05 and AM09 energy efficient?
A. Both the AM05 and AM09 are energy efficient and it depends on how much you use the device.
Q. Do the AM05 and AM09 get an Auto mode?
A. No, both the AM05 and AM09 do not have an Auto mode feature. The fan has to be turned on and off manually.
Q. Do the AM05 and AM09 get a retractable power cord?
A. No, the AM05 and AM09 have a cord that is strongly connected to the unit.
Q. How tall are the AM05 and AM09?
A. The AM05 is 22.8 inches tall while the AM09 is 24.9 inches tall.
Q. Are the remote controls infrared?
A. Yes, the remote controls of both the AM05 and AM09 are infrared and the battery lasts long too. The remote controls also have a magnet so you can magnetically attach it to the units.
Q. How quiet are the fans?
A. The AM05 and AM09 are both quiet fans but the loudness of the fans really depends on the airspeed setting of the units.
Q. Do they have warranties?
A. Yes, the AM05 and AM09 both have a 2-year warranty from Dyson.
What to like about the AM05?
- The AM05 is more affordable than AM09.
- The AM05 has a dual function: heating and cooling.
- The AM05 is more compact and can be put on top of your desk.
- The AM05 has Air Multiplier technology.
- The AM05 has a Child Safe feature.
- The AM05 has a remote control for easier control. It also has function buttons on its base.
- The AM05 has a bladeless, modern design.
What to like about the AM09?
- The AM09 is powered by Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology.
- The AM09 serves as a heater and a fan in one.
- The AM09 has two mode options: Jet Focus mode and Diffused mode.
- The AM09 has a smooth oscillation.
- The AM09 automatically shuts off when knocked over.
- The design of AM09 is innovative and bladeless.
- The AM09 is a tower-type fan and covers large spaces.
The AM05 and AM09 are both premium products from Dyson. They are made from high-quality materials and they have a unique, innovative design. They are quite expensive compared to other fans in the market but they do offer a dual-functionality. These fans are for people who are looking for a great looking fan that delivers. However, the AM09 has more features than the AM05 that’s why it costs more.
The fans are great and if you want to get one for yourself, here are the things that you should consider:
- Your budget should be your top priority when considering either the AM05 and AM09. The AM05 and AM09 are expensive and if you are on a tight budget, might as well look for other alternatives and consider other brands.
- If you are set on getting a Dyson fan but you have a limited budget, I suggest you get the AM05. The AM05 is more affordable compared to the AM09 because it has fewer features and benefits.
- If you want to customize the flow of air in your fan, get the AM09 since it has Jet Focus mode and Diffused mode.
- If you want a more quiet fan, pick the AM09. Both the AM05 and AM09 are quiet but the AM09 is quieter and has received a Quiet Mark accreditation from the Noise Abatement Society.
- If internal power is important for you, pick the AM09. It’s the ninth-generation upgrade of the AM Series.
The Dyson AM05 and AM09 are very modern-looking fan heaters. They are very stylish and they are easy and safe to use. They both have that bladeless design and they do not have awkward grills too. Both fans have smooth oscillation and distribute heat effectively. They also feature 10 airspeed settings.
The fans are impressive and meet your expectations, however, they are very expensive fans. I get that they are 2-in-1 devices that’s why their price is a little up there but I believe that there are other alternatives in the market that are cheaper and more affordable than these two Dyson units.
There’s not much difference between their prices, considering the added mode options and the upgraded internal power. So if you are going to get either of them, choose the Dyson AM09 because the price difference between the two is not huge and I recommend it because if you are spending lots of money for an expensive fan, why not go for the more expensive one with more power.