Dyson is one of the most trusted brands in the market. They make some of the highest quality fans on the market. The Dyson Pure Hot + Cool’s HP02 and Hot + Cool’s Jet Focus AM09 are great machines from the brand.
The HP02 is a purifier-heater fan. It has an air filtration system to purify the air in the room, a heater to keep you warm, and a fan that cools you on hot days. Meanwhile, the Dyson AM09 is a heater and doesn’t have the air purification benefit of the HP02 but on the plus side, the AM09 is more affordable.
If you are thinking of investing in one of these Dyson fans, you are in the right place. Read on as we compare the HP02 and the AM09 side-by-side.
Differences between the Dyson HP02 and the AM09
- The HP02 has an air purification feature which the AM09 lacks.
- The HP02 is WiFi-enabled and can be connected to the Dyson Link App and Alexa.
- The HP02 is equipped with 360 Glass HEPA filter and Activated Carbon while the AM09 does not have any filtration.
- The AM09 is cheaper than the HP02.
Similarities between the Dyson HP02 and the AM09
- The HP02 and the AM09 both have heaters.
- The HP02 and the AM09 both serve as a fan on hot days.
- They both have the classic Dyson look – tower-style and bladeless.
- Both have Jet Focus Mode and Diffused Mode.
The table below provides the specifications for the HP02 and the AM09:
|Tower and bladeless
|Tower and bladeless
|Jet Focus Control mode
|HEPA and Activated Carbon
|WiFi connectivity, Dyson Link App, and Alexa compatibility
|Check on Amazon
|Check on Amazon
Comparing the Dyson HP02 vs AM09 in Detail
The Pure Hot + Cool HP02 and the Hot + Cool AM09 are Dyson’s gems. They are unique and one of a kind. They both feature Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology and the oblong-shaped tower design which is constant in the Pure Hot + Cold series and the Hot + Cool Jet Focus series.
The HP02 is an impressive machine. It has three purposes: to purify the air, to give you warmth, and to blow cool air at you in the summer. It also supports two types of quality filters: 360 Glass HEPA filter which captures 99.97% of microscopic particles, 0.3 microns small, including dust, pollens, allergens, and other household air pollutants; and Activated Carbon filter which traps bad odors, toxic fumes, and gases lingering in the air. The purifying feature makes HP02 asthma and allergy-friendly.
The HP02 has WiFi connectivity which allows you to connect the device to a phone app called the Dyson Link and to smart home technologies like Alexa. The Dyson Link App is great because you can monitor your device even when you are not home. You can also control your HP02 through the app and you’ll be able to see the status of your device as well. With the WiFi connectivity, you can also operate the HP02 through voice command via Alexa.
It has several modes like the Jet Focus Mode, for more direct air stream; Diffused Mode, for a broader air distribution; Automatic mode; and Night Mode which is perfect when you are sleeping. It also has an LED display which shows the mode, temperature, and the air speed setting of the HP02.
Meanwhile, the AM09 doesn’t have any filtration system. It operates only as a heater and a fan but it is still as impressive as the HP02. Its heater and fan in one, powered by the Air Multiplier technology.
The AM09 also has the same design as the HP02. The blades and the heating elements are hidden so it is safe for kids and pets in the house. When the device is also accidentally knocked over, it automatically shuts off, just like the HP02.
Although the AM09 doesn’t have Auto Mode and Night Mode, the design of the AM09 is what makes it great. The bladeless design is safer than the traditional fan with spinning blades that you see in the market. It is also very modern-looking and looks fancy even if it’s a lot less cheap than the HP02. Also, despite it not having WiFi connectivity, the AM09 is remote control operated which lets you control the device with ease.
The additional elements on HP02 like the WiFi connectivity and the air purification filter make it heavier than the AM09. The added features also make the HP02 expensive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Are they WiFi-equipped?
A. The AM09 does not have the WiFi feature but the HP02 has WiFi connectivity and can be linked to the Dyson Link App as well as smart home technology Alexa.
Q. Can the HP02 disable the heat through the Dyson Link App?
A. Yes, the HP02 can control the heat through the Dyson Link App as long as it is connected to the WiFi.
Q. How much room can the fans cover?
A. Dyson said their fans are for large room use.
Q. Does the unit automatically return to power if the electricity suddenly goes out?
A. No, both the HP02 and the AM09 do not automatically turn the power on but they automatically shut down when they’re accidentally knocked over.
Q. What are the differences between HP02 and AM09?
The HP02 and the AM09 have two significant differences. The HP02 has an air purification benefit and as well as WiFi connectivity, while the AM09 does not have any of those features.
Q. Do I need to change the filter?
A. For the HP02, yes you have to change the filter. Dyson suggests that filters need to be changed once a year based on its running 12hrs/ day. Replacement filters are available at Dyson.
Q. How warm can the heater get?
A. Dyson engineered it to never rise above the maximum of 200°C and the unit intelligently adjusts its output based on the temperature of the room.
Q. Are they energy efficient?
A. Yes, both the HP02 and the AM09 are energy savers. They both use less energy to run.
Q. Do they come with a remote control?
A. Yes, the HP02 and the AM09 both have remote controls included in the package.
Q. Are they good cooling devices?
A. Yes, both the HP02 and the AM09 covers you in a steady stream of airflow.
What to like about the HP02?
- The HP02 has three functions in one device. It purifies the air, acts as a heater and serves as a fan as well.
- The HP02 has a HEPA filter that captures dust, pollens, allergens, molds, and other air pollutants hovering in your room. It also has an Activated Carbon filter which absorbs fumes, gases, toxins, and bad odor in your home.
- It is WiFi-enabled letting you connect the device to your phone through the Dyson Link App and Alexa.
What to like about the AM09?
- The AM09 serves two purposes – it can be a fan on hot days and a heater on cold nights.
- It is safer than most fans in the market because of its bladeless device.
- It is also cheaper than the HP02 but the quality of the device does not disappoint.
Dyson already established its reputation in the market. They are known to produce premium products that are reliable and modern. And just like any Dyson product, the HP02 and the Dyson AM09 are impressive. You’ll be getting more than just a fan – they provide heating, cooling, and purifying, unlike traditional fans. They are also safer because there are no visible blades or any heating elements.
These fans are for everyone especially for homes with kids and pets. If you are a pet owner, a light smoker, asthmatic, or if you have allergies the Pure Hot + Cold’s HP02 might be the better choice just because of its air-purifying benefits.
The prices of these fans are a bit up there so if you are planning to get the Dyson HP02 or the AM09, here are the things that you should consider:
- Consider your budget. As I’ve said, the price of these two Dyson fans is more expensive than traditional fans. If you want to get a Dyson fan but want to save a few bucks, get the AM09. It’s more affordable than the HP02.
- The HP02 has an air purification system with two quality filters: 360 Glass HEPA filter and the Activated Carbon filter.
- If you have Alexa at home, the HP02 is the better option because it has WiFi connectivity and can be linked to the Dyson Link App and to your smart home technology.
- If you are okay with a simple heater fan, get the AM09.
- If you want a lighter fan, pick the AM09. It weighs less than the HP02 because it does not have filters.
If given the choice, I would pick the HP02 because if I would pay for an expensive fan, I would want to get a lot of benefits. While the AM09 is affordable and does the job well, you won’t be getting that purifier option plus it is not WiFi equipped. The HP02 is great because of its 3-in-1 functionality and because of that, I think it is worth investing in.