Dyson air purifiers are some of the best air purifiers in the market. Their air purifiers are multipurpose and they created different series to accommodate different markets. One of their best selling lineups is the Desk Cooling Air Purifiers (DP Series) which is composed of the following models: Dyson Pure Cool DP01, DP02, DP03, and DP04.
The DP Series is designed to be placed on desks or on top of tables. The air purifiers in this series are powered by Dyson’s very own Air Multiplier technology and usually have a circular amp. The first model that the series released was the DP01 – a simple yet powerful air purifier fan with 360 Glass HEPA filter with Activated Carbon. Meanwhile, the latest model from the DP Series is the Dyson DP04 which is equipped with Glass HEPA Media filter with Activated Carbon.
Dyson’s DP01 and DP04 are from the same series and their designs are the same but the internal power of DP04 is way better than its predecessor. In this article, we will break down the differences, similarities, and specifications of DP01 and DP04 of the Desk Cooling Air Purifiers series.
- 1 Differences between the Dyson DP01 and DP04
- 2 Similarities between the Dyson DP01 and DP04
- 3 Comparison Table
- 4 Comparing the Dyson DP01 vs DP04 in Detail
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5.1 Q. Can the DP01 and DP04 remove molds?
- 5.2 Q. How frequent should the filters be changed
- 5.3 Q. Can the DP01 and DP04 eliminate odors?
- 5.4 Q. Are they capable of dehumidifying the air in a room?
- 5.5 Q. Can the DP01 and DP04 warm the room?
- 5.6 Q. Are the filters washable?
- 5.7 Q. Do the fans oscillate?
- 5.8 Q. Do the DP01 and the DP04 release ozone into the air?
- 5.9 Q. Can the DP01 and DP04 fine dust PM2.5 and PM1 in size?
- 5.10 Q. Can they function as a fan?
- 6 What to like about the DP01?
- 7 What to like about the DP04?
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 Verdict
Differences between the Dyson DP01 and DP04
- The DP04 has a more advanced air filtration system: Glass HEPA Media filter with Activated Carbon. On the other hand, the DP01 has a 360 Glass HEPA filter with Activated Carbon.
- The DP04 has more modes than the DP01.
- The DP04 has the PTPA seal of approval.
- The DP04 is a little heavier and taller than DP01.
- The DP04 is more expensive than the DP01.
Similarities between the Dyson DP01 and DP04
- The DP01 and DP04 models are both powered by Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology.
- The DP01 and DP04 both remove 99.97% of allergens and pollutants as small as 0.3 microns.
- The DP01 and DP04 can be used as a fan.
- The DP01 and DP04 are safe and easy to clean.
- The DP01 and DP04 both have remote controls and are WiFi enabled.
- The DP01 and DP04 both have voice command features through Amazon Alexa.
- The DP01 and DP04 are both Quiet Mark-accredited.
The table below provides the specifications for the DP01 and the DP04:
|Style||Desk fan and bladeless||Desk fan and bladeless|
|Jet Focus Control mode||No||Yes|
|Oscillation||350 degrees||350 degrees|
|Filter||360 Glass HEPA filter with Activated Carbon||Glass HEPA Media with Activated Carbon|
|WiFi connectivity, Dyson Link App, and Alexa compatibility||Yes||Yes|
|Weight||6.6 lbs||10.25 lbs|
|Price||Check on Amazon||Check on Amazon|
Comparing the Dyson DP01 vs DP04 in Detail
The DP04 is the upgraded version of DP01 but for an upgrade, the DP04 does not have a lot of differences from its predecessor.
The main highlight of the DP04 is its more powerful Glass HEPA Media with Activated Carbon filter while the DP01 runs on 360 Glass HEPA filter with Activated Carbon. Both filters 99.97% ultra-fine particles–as small as 0.3 microns– from the air including pollen, dust, allergens, and pet danders. They are also both capable of absorbing bad odors, gases, toxins, and VOCs (Volatile Organic Compound).
The DP01 only has two modes: the Automatic Mode and the Night Mode where the LCD display dims and the device purifies using the quietest settings. Meanwhile, Dyson added more modes to the DP04. Aside from the Automatic and Night Mode settings, the DP04 has Jet Focus Mode for more direct air flow, Diffused Mode for broader air distribution, and Backward Airflow Mode allowing you to use the device even without turning the fan on.
When it comes to the design there’s not much difference except for the weight and the height. The DP04 is a little heavier and taller than the DP01. It weighs 10.25 lbs while the DP01 weighs 6.6 lbs. The DP04 also stands at 27.2 inches while the DP01 is a few inches short at 24.3 inches. The DP01 and the DP04 are also powered by Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology which makes it possible for the devices to circulate purified air across the room even when their blades are hidden. Unlike traditional fans, the blades of the DP01 and Dp04 are not exposed. They are safe and easy to clean because there are no fast-spinning blades or awkward grills.
The DP01 and the DP04 are both WiFi-enabled. You can connect them to your mobile phone by downloading the Dyson Link App. The Dyson Link App also makes it possible for you to control the device even when you’re not home. They also have a voice command feature via Amazon Alexa. The DP01 and the DP04 also have remote controls allowing you to easily control the device even without physically reaching for it.
The DP01 and DP04 are premium air purifiers and they are not cheap. The DP04 is more expensive than the DP01 because of the upgrades done by Dyson – the extra modes and the new filter.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can the DP01 and DP04 remove molds?
A. Yes, both the DP01 and DP04 can remove mold particles in the air as well as other pollutants and allergens lingering in the room.
Q. How frequent should the filters be changed
A. Dyson suggests changing the filters at least once a year but it is usually indicated on the display of the device when you have to change the filter already. Replacement filters are available at their stores. Authentic Dyson filter is recommended.
Q. Can the DP01 and DP04 eliminate odors?
A. Yes, the DP01 and DP04 both have Activated Carbon which absorbs gases, toxins, fumes, smoke, and other household odors.
Q. Are they capable of dehumidifying the air in a room?
A. No, the DP01 and the DP04 are air purifiers. They can’t remove moisture from the air.
Q. Can the DP01 and DP04 warm the room?
A. No, the DP01 and the DP04 do not have a built-in heater.
Q. Are the filters washable?
A. No, you can not wash the filters and Dyson requires you to change them every year.
Q. Do the fans oscillate?
A. Yes, both the DP01 and the DP04 oscillate at 350 degrees.
Q. Do the DP01 and the DP04 release ozone into the air?
A. No, the DP01 and DP04 do not release ozone in the air.
Q. Can the DP01 and DP04 fine dust PM2.5 and PM1 in size?
Q. Yes, both the DP01 and DP04 can filter ultra fine dust and tiny particles as small as 0.3 microns.
Q. Can they function as a fan?
A. Yes, the DP01 and the DP04 act as great fans.
What to like about the DP01?
- The DP01 is equipped with a 360 Glass HEPA filter with Activated Carbon.
- The DP01 has WiFi connectivity and can connect to Amazon Alexa and the Dyson Link App.
- The DP01 is safe and easy to clean.
- The DP01 has Automatic Mode and Night Mode.
- The DP01 is more affordable compared to DP04.
- The DP01 is Quiet Mark-accredited.
What to like about the DP04?
- The DP04 has a more advanced filtration system – Glass HEPA Media filter with Activated Carbon.
- The DP04 gets three extra modes aside from Automatic and Night modes – Jet Focus Mode, Diffused Mode and Backward Airflow Mode.
- The DP04 is WiFi-enabled allowing you to connect the device to Dyson Link App and Amazon Alexa.
- The DP04 has no visible spinning blades or grills so it is safer and easier to clean than traditional fans.
- The DP04 has the PTPA seal of approval and has accreditation from Quiet Mark.
The Dyson DP01 and Dyson DP04 are great air purifiers. They both have 2-in-1 functions which makes them a good investment. Why did I say investment? Because these air purifiers are not cheap. They are expensive but they are of high calibre plus they add style in your room.
These air purifiers are ideal for people with asthma and allergies because they filter out allergens and air pollutants. It is also good for pet owners to have any of these two because they also capture pet danders or fine dust particles as small as 0.3 microns. The Dyson DP01 and DP04 are also fixed with Activated Carbon so they are nice for light smokers as well.
If you want to buy any of these machines, here are the things that you should consider:
- If you want a more affordable air purifier that does the job well pick the DP01.
- If internal power is important for you, pick the DP04 since it’s the fourth generation upgrade of the DP01.
- If you want to have a few extra modes, the DP04 is for you but if it doesn’t matter, by all means, go with the DP01.
- If you want to use the air purifier itself without turning on the fan, you should choose the DP04 since it has a Backward Airflow mode.
The DP01 and the DP04 are both exceptional air purifiers and they are, of course, from a well-known brand so you are assured that they are made from high-quality materials.
The first thing that I noticed about these machines is their design. It looks really nice and classy but they don’t come cheap. They are expensive so you might want to check out other brands for alternatives but if you are really determined to get either of these two Dyson air purifiers, I suggest you get the DP04.
The DP04 is the latest from the DP Series. Improvements and upgrades were made so I think it’s better but if you are on a tight budget, the DP01 will do. It’s as powerful as the DP04 except you don’t get the new filtration system and the few extra modes of the DP04.