One of the go-to brands when it comes to air purifiers is Dyson. The brand is known for producing expensive and premium products. They have several lineups produced to cater to different needs. They have the Pure Cool Tower Series (TP Series) and Air Multiplier Series (AM Series).
All the models of the TP Series have air purification features meanwhile some of the earlier models of the AM Series do not have this feature. The Dyson TP04 of the TP Series is a 2-in-1 machine–an air purifier and a fan in one. The Dyson AM07, on the other hand, is just a fan.
In this article, we will compare the two Dyson fans, the TP04 and the AM07. We will break down their differences, similarities, and specifications so you can choose which product is right for you.
Differences between the Dyson TP04 and the AM07
- The TP04 has an air filtration system while the AM07 only works as a fan.
- The TP04 has WiFi connectivity while the AM07 does not have this feature.
- The TP04 can be controlled via the Dyson Link App and Amazon Alexa. The AM07 can only be controlled via its remote control.
- The AM07 is cheaper than the TP04.
- The TP04 has a lot of mode options: Auto mode, Night mode, Jet Focus mode, Diffused mode, and Backward Airflow mode. The AM07 only gets the Sleep Timer option.
- The TP04 has an LED display that shows real-time air quality reports while the AM07 can not detect what kind of air pollutants are lingering in the air.
- The TP04 is certified asthma and allergy friendly.
Similarities between the Dyson TP04 and AM07
- The TP04 and AM07 are both powered by Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology.
- The TP04 and AM07 both have the same bladeless and tower-style design.
- The TP04 and AM07 are both fans.
- The TP04 and AM07 both come with remote controls.
- The TP04 and AM07 are easy to clean.
- The TP04 and AM07 are safer than traditional fans.
The table below provides the specifications for the TP04 and the AM07:
|Tower and bladeless
|Tower and bladeless
|Dyson Air Multiplier technology
|Jet Focus Control mode
|● Remote Control
|● Inner Carbon Filter
|● HEPA filter
|Glass HEPA Media and Activated Carbon
|WiFi connectivity, Dyson Link App, and Alexa compatibility
|Check on Amazon
|Check on Amazon
Comparing the Dyson TP04 vs AM07 in Detail
The Dyson TP04 and AM07 are two powerful fans, however, they have a lot of differences. The TP04 is ideal for people with asthma and allergies since it has an air filtration system. Meanwhile, the AM07 is great for people who are looking for an impressive fan.
The TP04 uses Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology and has an air filtration system. It is equipped with Dyson’s Glass HEPA Media filter and it filters 99.97% of ultrafine particles, as tiny as 0.3 microns, like pollen, bacteria, allergens, dust, pet dander, and other air pollutants in the air. The machine is also fitted with a layer of Active Carbon filter that captures bad odors, gases, toxins, smoke, and VOCs (Volatile Organic Compound).
While the AM07 lacks air purification benefits, it is a powerful fan. It is powered by Air Multiplier technology, much like the TP04 and has a long-range projection to circulate air across the room. The blades of both the TP04 and AM07 are hidden. They do not have exposed fast-spinning blades that could cause injuries; and protective metal grills as well which make them easier to clean than most fans.
Another powerful feature of the TP04 is its WiFi connectivity. The TP04 supports WiFi and can be linked to your mobile phone via the Dyson Link App. The app which you can download from the App Store and Google Play Store, allows you to control the device through your mobile phone. You can adjust the settings, turn the device on or off, and it sends you real-time air quality reports too. With the WiFi support, you can also connect your device to Amazon Alexa and activate the voice command. Meanwhile, the only control option you have for the AM07 is the remote control.
The remote control accessory is included in the box of both the TP04 and AM07. The remote control of the AM07 has 10 precise airflow settings and it is magnetized so you can attach it on top of your device to avoid misplacing it. The TP04’s remote control has different modes in it that you can choose, it has 10 airflow settings as well, and you can also magnetically attach it on top of your Dyson device.
In terms of mode options, the TP04 has a lot of modes to choose from, unlike the AM07 that only has the Sleep Timer option. The TP04 has the following modes that you can enjoy:
- Auto mode – the device automatically adjusts the airflow, checks the quality of air, and turns the device on or off.
- Night mode – the device dims the display and uses the quietest setting.
- Jet Focus mode – if you want a direct, more focused airstream.
- Diffused mode – if you want a wider, more dispersed air distribution.
- Backward Airflow mode – the device turns off the cooling feature without shutting down the air purifier.
Safety is one of the most important things to consider when buying an appliance. With their bladeless design, the TP04 and AM07 are considered as one of the safest fans in the market. Their blades are hidden in their base and it has an innovative design which is constant to all Dyson fans and air purifiers. These two machines are great for home use especially if you have kids and pets who love to play around the house. The TP04, however, has a Child Safe feature that automatically shuts down the device when it’s knocked over.
The TP04 has a lot of benefits compared to the AM07 which is why it is more expensive. The TP04 costs more than the AM07 because of its features, benefits, and upgrades made by Dyson. The TP04 is the fourth-generation model in the TP Series.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How quiet are the fans of the TP04 and AM07?
A. The fans of both the TP04 and AM07 are quiet and they are 60% quieter than regular fans. If your device is loud, get in touch with Dyson for you may have a defective fan.
Q. Do I have to place the fans near a window for ventilation?
A. No, the TP04 and AM07 are both designed to draw air from one side and expel it to the other side.
Q. Can the TP04 and AM07 run 24/7 in hot weather?
A. Yes, the TP04 and AM07 are designed for long term constant use, however, keep in mind that you have to clean the machines one in a while. You may call Dyson for further details.
Q. Are the TP04 and AM07 a good alternative for an air conditioner?
A. Both the AM07 and TP04 work as a fan. They have 10 airflow settings but it is important to understand that they are not an air conditioner unit and they can’t generate cold air.
Q. Where can I get a replacement filter for TP04?
A. Replacement filter cartridges are available on Dyson and Amazon.
Q. Why are they expensive?
A. The TP04 and AM07 are expensive because they don’t have exposed fast-spinning blades that can cause injuries. Plus they have a great design with very little noise.
Q. Can I disassemble the device to clean the internal device?
A. Disassembling the machines is not recommended by Dyson. Please contact Dyson if you have issues.
Q. Can they act as a heater?
A. No, the TP04 and AM07 do not have a built-in heater. The TP04 is capable of purifying the air and can double as a fan as well. Meanwhile, the AM07 is just a fan.
Q. Can I plug the TP04 and AM07 on an extension cord?
A. Yes, you can use a good extension cord for the TP04 and AM07.
Q. How often should I change the filters for the TP04?
A. Dyson suggests changing the filters at least once a year but the device itself will notify you when the filters need changing.
What to like about the TP04?
- The TP04 is a 2-in-1 device. It is an air purifier that doubles as a fan.
- The TP04 supports WiFi.
- The TP04 can be controlled via the Dyson Link App.
- The TP04 has Amazon Alexa integration.
- The TP04 is certified asthma and allergy friendly by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
- The TP04 has an extra inner Carbon filter and HEPA filter included in the box.
- The TP04 has a remote control that magnetically attaches itself at the top of the machine.
- The TP04 has a Glass HEPA Media filter and Activated Carbon air filtration system.
- The TP04 is designed to cover large spaces and has an oscillation of 350 degrees.
- The TP04 is powered by Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology.
- The TP04 has a lot of mode options: Auto mode, Night mode, Jet Focus mode, Diffused mode, and Backward Airflow mode.
- The TP04 has a Child Safe feature.
What to like about the AM07?
- The AM07 is much cheaper than the TP04.
- The AM07 is a powerful, yet quiet fan.
- The AM07 does not have visible fast-spinning blades.
- The AM07 does not have awkward grills.
- The AM07 is safe and easy to clean.
- The AM07 is powered by Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology.
- The AM07 is 60% quieter than traditional fans in the market.
- The AM07 has a Sleep Timer mode.
The TP04 and AM07 have different purposes. The TP04 is ideal for people suffering from asthma and allergies because it improves air quality by filtering air pollutants. Meanwhile, the AM07 is ideal for people who are looking for a powerful, quiet fan. Both the TP04 and AM07 have a bladeless design. They have a tower-style built and a narrow, oblong-shaped amplifier. Their design makes them great for homes with kids and pets around.
If you are planning to get a fan and you are torn between these two powerful machines, here are the things that you should consider:
- These fans are not cheap. The TP04 and AM07 are both premium fans from Dyson so they are expensive. You have to consider your budget when picking between the two. If you are on a tight budget and a simple fan is great for you, pick the AM07 because it is a lot cheaper than the TP04.
- If you have kids or pets who love to play and run around the house, the TP04 is the best option since it has a Child Safe feature that automatically shuts down the fan when it’s tipped over.
- If you need a fan that would improve the quality of air in your home, pick the TP04 since it has a great air filtration system: Glass HEPA Media filter and Active Carbon.
- If you are looking for a powerful yet quiet fan, pick the AM07 because it is 60% quieter than the traditional fans with big fast-spinning blades.
- If you want to have the WiFi feature and more mode options, opt for the TP04. It is expensive but you can connect it to the Dyson Link App and Amazon Alexa.
The TP04 and AM07 are both impressive fans from Dyson. They both have an innovative design and they look amazing. Their blades are hidden making them relatively kid and pet safe. The TP04 and AM07 are both easy to clean as well since they do not have awkward grills that would block you from wiping the amp. However, the main difference between the two is the air purification benefit of the TP04.
The AM07 is just a basic fan. Don’t get me wrong, it is a powerful fan. It has 10 airflow settings which are great and it is quiet. It effectively cools you on hot days but it doesn’t come with an air filtration system, unlike the TP04. The TP04 is equipped with Glass HEPA Media filter and Active Carbon which makes it great if you are suffering from asthma or allergies.
Choosing which model to buy really depends on what you need. If you don’t need an air filtration system and a basic, high-quality fan is more than enough for you, I suggest you pick the Dyson AM07. It is a lot cheaper than the Dyson TP04 so you will be saving yourself from spending too much and overall, it is a great fan.