When it comes to air purifiers, Dyson products are among the most popular in the market, they are considered a cult favorite. Dyson is a well-known brand. They make fancy and high-quality appliances. One of their best-sellers is the Pure Cool Tower Series (TP Series) particularly the Dyson TP02 and Dyson TP04, which are both from the TP Series.
Dyson designed the TP Series for large spaces so both the TP02 and TP04 are capable of purifying the air and distributing it across a big room. These two models also have cooling functions and support WiFi. The TP02 and Dyson TP04 can be connected to the Dyson Link App and has Alexa integration.
In this article we will discuss the differences, similarities, and specifications of both these Dyson Pure Cool Tower air purifiers to help you pick which model is best for you.
Differences between the Dyson TP02 and the TP04
- The TP04 has an oscillation of 350 degrees while the TP02 only has 180 degrees.
- The TP04 uses a more advanced Glass HEPA Media filter while the TP02 still uses the filter of the first TP Series model, the 360 Glass HEPA filter.
- The TP04 has more mode options: Auto, Night, Jet Focus Control, Diffused, and Backward Airflow modes while the TP02 only has two modes: Auto and Night modes.
- The TP04 comes with an inner Carbon filter and HEPA filter in the box while the TP02 does not.
- The TP02 is more affordable compared to the TP04.
- The TP02 is lighter and a little shorter than the TP04.
- The TP04 has a Child Safe feature while the TP02 does not have that feature.
Similarities between the Dyson TP01 and the TP02
- The TP02 and TP04 are both powered by Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology.
- The TP02 and TP04 can both cover large areas.
- The TP02 and TP04 have the same tower and bladeless Dyson design.
- The TP02 and TP04 are both easy to clean and safe for pets and kids.
- The TP02 and TP04 are ideal for people with asthma and allergies because they have a HEPA filter.
- The TP02 and TP04 support WiFi and can be linked to the Dyson Link App and to Alexa.
- The TP02 and TP04 both have dual functions: purifying and cooling.
The table below provides the specifications for the TP02 and the TP04:
|Style||Tower and bladeless||Tower and bladeless|
|Jet Focus Control mode||No||Yes|
|Oscillation||180 degrees||350 degrees|
|● Remote Control|
|Accessories||Remote Control||● Inner Carbon Filter|
|● HEPA filter|
|Filter||360 Glass HEPA with Activated Carbon||Glass HEPA Media and Activated Carbon|
|WiFi connectivity, Dyson Link App, and Alexa compatibility||Yes||Yes|
|Weight||8.4 lbs||10.98 lbs|
|Height||40 inches||41.5 inches|
|Price||Check on Amazon||Check on Amazon|
Comparing the Dyson TP02 vs TP04 in Detail
Dyson designed the TP02 and TP04 for large spaces. They were made to stand and to distribute purified air evenly in a big room. The design of TP02 and Tp04 are very similar although the TP04 stands a little taller and weighs heavier than the TP02. They also both have the same tower-style design and the same oblong-shaped amp, however, you will notice that the amp of the TP04 is a little wider than the TP02.
The TP02 and the TP04 are also powered by Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology. Dyson is very proud of this technology and it allows the air purifiers to provide a smooth breeze of cool, purified air, even if they are bladeless–well, not totally bladeless, their blades are hidden inside the pedestal stand. And because no fast-spinning blades are exposed, it makes the TP02 and TP04 look futuristic and classy and more importantly, they are safer and easier to clean compared to average air purifier fans in the market.
The TP02 and TP04 support WiFi, which means they can be linked to the Dyson Link App that you can easily download to your mobile phone from the App Store or Google Play Store. The Dyson Link App allows you to control the device even when you are not home. It serves as a remote control, and it also sends you real time air quality reports. The WiFi feature also makes it possible for you to voice command the units through Amazon Alexa.
Dual-functionality makes both the TP02 and TP04 interesting. They can act as air purifiers, but they can also serve as a fan. Their air filtration systems are impressive, but the TP04 has a much more advanced filter. It uses a Glass HEPA Media filter with Active Carbon while the TP02 is still equipped with the same 360 Glass HEPA filter with Active Carbon from its predecessor, the TP01.
While the TP02 and TP04 have different filters, they are both capable of filtering 99.97% of ultrafine particles including pollen, bacteria, dust, pet dander, and other air pollutants in the air. Meanwhile, the Active Carbon captures bad odors, gases, toxins, smoke, and VOCs (Volatile Organic Compound).
When it comes to safety, both the TP02 and TP04 are safe because it does not have any visible blades or any elements that might cause harm but the TP04 has a Child Safe feature, which automatically shuts the device off when it’s tipped over so it’s great for homes with small kids or even pets running around.
Since the TP04 is much more advanced than the TP02, it is expected that the price on this one is higher. Dyson added extra mode options for the TP04, an Auto mode which enables the unit to automatically adjust the airflow, check the quality of air, and turn the device on or off; Night mode, which is perfect when you are sleeping because it dims the display and purifies the air using the quietest setting of the unit; Jet Focus mode for a more direct and focused air projection; Diffused mode for a wider air distribution; and Backward Airflow mode where the device purifies the air even if the cooling feature is turned off. Meanwhile, the TP02 only has two modes: the Auto mode and the Night mode.
In the box, the TP02 comes with a remote control for easier access to the device without physically reaching for it. The TP04 also comes with a remote control, however, it also has an extra inner Carbon filter and HEPA filter for when you have to replace the filters. The filters of the TP02 and TP04 have to be replaced at least once a year. The units will notify you if it needs changing already. And since the TP02 does not have any extra filters, you have to buy the filters separately. The free filters for the TP04 are not unlimited so when you already use them up, you will have to buy the replacement filters as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Do the air purifiers have fans aside from the exhaust fan for the purifier?
A. The TP02 and TP04 is like a Dyson fan which distributes already purified air.
Q. Do the air purifiers need ventilation?
A. No, the TP02 and TP04 are both designed to draw air from one side and expel it to the other side.
Q. How often should the filters for TP02 and TP04 have to be changed?
A. Dyson suggests changing the filters at least once a year but it is usually indicated on the display of the device when you have to change the filter already. Replacement filters are available at their stores. Authentic Dyson filter is recommended.
Q. How effective is the cooling feature of both the TP02 and TP04?
A. Both the TP02 and TP04 work as a fan but they do not change the temperature of the air.
Q. Where can I get a replacement filter for TP02 and TP04?
A. You can get the filter cartridges on Dyson. It is also available on Amazon.
Q. Can the Dyson Link App control more than one device?
A. Yes, the Dyson Link App can control more than one unit as long as it supports WiFi.
Q. Do the TP02 and TP04 have warranties?
A. Yes, both the TP02 and the TP04 have warranties and Dyson will replace or repair any of their items if it’s damaged.
Q. Will the TP02 and TP04 work even without the WiFi
A. Yes, both the TP02 and TP04 will work even if the WiFi feature is turned off.
Q. Are the filters for TP02 and TP04 washable?
A. No, the filters are not washable and for single-use only. You have to replace them once the unit notifies you to.
Q. Are TP02 and TP04 capable of removing household odors?
A. Yes, both the TP02 and TP04 have Activated Carbon that captures household odors, gases, fumes, smoke, and VOCs.
What to like about the TP02?
- The TP02 is more affordable than the TP04 and has dual-functions: purifying and cooling.
- The TP02 can cover large spaces.
- The TP02 has a HEPA filter and Active Carbon.
- The TP02 is certified asthma and allergy friendly by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
- The TP02 has Auto mode and Night mode.
- The TP02 has WiFi connectivity and can be linked to the Dyson Link App for real time air quality reports.
- The TP02 has Amazon Alexa integration.
What to like about the TP04?
- The TP04 has a more advanced air filtration system. It uses a Glass HEPA Media filter with Active Carbon.
- The TP04 is a 2-in-1 device. It can act as an air purifier and a fan as well.
- The TP04 can distribute air effectively to large spaces.
- The TP04 has an oscillation of 350 degrees.
- The TP04 has a Child Safe feature.
- The TP04 has three extra modes, aside from Auto and Night modes: Jet Focus mode, Diffused mode, and Backward Airflow mode.
- The TP04 comes with a remote control, an extra inner carbon filter, and extra HEPA filter in the box.
- The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America certified the TP04 to be asthma and allergy friendly.
- The TP04 is WiFi-enabled letting you connect the device to the Dyson Link App.
- The TP04 has voice command through Amazon Alexa.
Dyson air purifiers are a cult favorite and the TP Series is a great lineup because it has a dual-function and is designed for large spaces. The TP02 and TP04 are two of the series’ best-sellers. They are both ideal for people with asthma, allergies, light smokers, and pet owners because they reduce the pollutants in the air. Both of them are also great for homes with kids too because their blades are hidden so you don’t have to worry for possible injuries caused by fast-spinning blades plus they are easy to clean because they do not have grill covers and you can just use a cloth to wipe any dust or dirt in your fan.
If you are planning to get either the TP02 and TP04 and you are confused which to buy, here are the things that you should consider:
- If you are on a tight budget, try to check other brands for alternatives first. Dyson is an expensive brand and it can leave you out of pocket, however, if you have enough money and you are really set on getting a Dyson air purifier, get the TP02. It does its job, and it’s more affordable than the TP04. Take note that both the filters of TP02 and TP04 have to be replaced every year, and it costs extra money.
- If having a lot of mode options is important for you, get the TP04. It has Jet Focus mode, Auto mode, Night mode, Diffused mode, and Backward Airflow mode. Unlike the TP02, which only has two modes.
- These air purifiers are considered safer than an average fan you see in the market, however, if you have small kids or pets who love to play and run around the house, the TP04 is a much better option since it has a Child Safe feature which automatically turns off the device when knocked over.
- If you want a more powerful air purifier, choose the TP04 since it has an upgraded air filtration system and uses Glass HEPA Media filter with Active Carbon.
- If you want a purifier fan that can swing around the entire room, the TP04 is the better option since it has an oscillation of 350 degrees, a jump from TP02’s 180 degrees.
Dyson is a great brand. They make high-quality products and they all look good–sleek and classy. However, their products, especially the TP02 and Dyson TP04, are expensive and there are a lot of alternatives in the market that’s as high quality as Dyson’s TP Series but you can get it at a cheaper price.
Dyson air purifiers are expensive because of the Air Multiplier technology which is only unique to Dyson plus their air purifiers can also act as a fan. The bladeless design as well is another reason why they are pricey, it makes the air purifier fans safer than traditional fans and, honestly; they look great. They are also WiFi-enabled so you can control them through your mobile phone and it also has voice command through Amazon Alexa.
Personally, I would encourage you to check other brands for alternatives but if you are really decided to buy a Dyson air purifier, I suggest you get the Dyson TP02. It’s more affordable than the TP04 and it does the job, although it only has two modes and has an oscillation of 180 degrees, it’s already a great air purifier for me. It’s equipped with a 360 Glass HEPA filter with Active Carbon and it supports WiFi too.
3 thoughts on “Dyson TP02 vs TP04 – What They Aren’t Telling You”
A fantastic, clear, helpful, wonderfully formatted, easy on the eye, thorough review. Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you so much!
Thank you for your kind words. Really glad you liked the review!
Beautiful review. With having chronical bronhitis and with no need for humidifier, I was sure I would like to get Dyson TP02 or TP04. You presented all important pros and cons and helped me with my decision. Thank you!