Dyson offers a wide selection of premium home appliances in the market and their Pure Hot + Cool series of fan purifiers is one of the best.
The Pure Hot + Cool series has three models: the HP01, HP02, and the HP04. The series first released the HP01 as their flagship model and because of its success, Dyson upgraded it to HP02 and then later on upgraded it to HP04. The series is known to have three main functions: heat, cool, and purify.
The HP01 is an impressive machine and comes at a cheaper price, however, the HP04 has new features to offer – features that the HP01 doesn’t have. Read on if you want to know more about these features and the differences between these two Dyson purifier fans.
- 1 Differences between the Dyson HP01 and the HP04
- 2 Similarities between the Dyson HP01 and the HP04
- 3 Comparing the Dyson HP01 vs HP04 in Detail
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4.1 Q. How often do we need to change the filters?
- 4.2 Q. What is the difference between the HP01 and the HP04?
- 4.3 Q. Are they effective in heating a small bedroom?
- 4.4 Q. Can they filter out bad odors?
- 4.5 Q. Can you control the device through the Dyson Link App?
- 4.6 Q. Can you turn off the WiFi connection?
- 4.7 Q. Do they have warranties?
- 4.8 Q. Will the air purifier work even if the fan is not turned on?
- 4.9 Q. Are the items returnable?
- 4.10 Q. Will it work without the remote?
- 5 What to like about the HP01?
- 6 What to like about the HP04?
- 7 Conclusion
- 8 Verdict
Differences between the Dyson HP01 and the HP04
- The HP01 uses a combination filter of 360 Glass HEPA and Activated Carbon while the HP04 uses a larger HEPA filter and a separate Activated Carbon filter which makes it better at capturing air pollutants.
- The HP01 is not WiFi-enabled while the HP04 can be connected to WiFi and can be linked to Alexa. It can also be controlled via the Dyson Link App.
- The HP04 displays more information about the pollutants lingering in the air while the HP01 only displays the simple and intuitive controls.
- The HP04 can swing around 350 degrees, the HP01 can only oscillate 70 degrees.
- The HP04 is more expensive than the HP01.
Similarities between the Dyson HP01 and the HP04
- The HP01 and the HP04 both have three functions: heat, cool, and purify.
- The HP01 and the HP04 both sport the same sleek tower design.
- Both come with remote controls.
- Both machines are asthma and allergy-friendly
The table below provides the specifications for the HP02 and the HP04:
|Style||Tower and bladeless||Tower and bladeless|
|Jet Focus Control mode||Yes||Yes|
|Oscillation||70 degrees||350 degrees|
|Accessories||Remote Control||Remote Control|
|Filter||360 Glass HEPA||HEPA + Carbon|
|WiFi connectivity, Dyson Link App, and Alexa compatibility||No||Yes|
|Air Quality Reporting||No||Yes|
|Weight||11.9 lbs||19.7 lbs|
|Price||Check on Amazon||Check on Amazon|
Comparing the Dyson HP01 vs HP04 in Detail
Dyson has a reputation of providing quality products and they did not disappoint us with the introduction of their Pure Hot + Cool lineup.
Since the HP01 was the first to be released in the series, it is bound to be upgraded in the future and unlike other brands who phase out their products once it’s upgraded, Dyson continued manufacturing the HP01.
First stop is the design. The two machines almost have the same look except for some slight changes. The HP04 is bigger and weighs heavier than its predecessor but other than that, they both look like the classic Dyson design – bladeless, sleek, modern-looking, and aesthetically pleasing.
The HP01 is a 3-in-1 machine that serves as a heater, a fan, and a purifier. Its biggest feature is its purifier with HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filter which removes 99.97% of air contaminants 0.3 microns in size. The Activated Carbon reduces odors while also removing the VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds).
On the other hand, the HP04 uses the same filter but better – It has a separate filtration system and a more improved HEPA + Carbon filter. However, the new filters are not the highlight of the HP04. The huge difference between the two is the WiFi connectivity of the newest model in the lineup.
The HP04 is equipped with WiFi and can be connected to Alexa and Dyson Link App, meanwhile, the HP01 doesn’t have that. The Dyson Link App is more than just an app. It allows you to schedule your air purification, heating, and cooling and it also reports the quality of air in your room. Aside from that, the app will also allow you to control the HP04 even when you’re not home.
The HP04 is also voice control enabled which will let you command the device through a smart home technology like Alexa.
Another thing to keep in mind is the display. The HP04 allows you to check what kind of pollutants are present in the room while the HP01 only shows the temperature and the basic modes of the device.
When it comes to the modes and other features, the HP04 has more to offer than the HP01.
The HP01 and the HP04 both have the Jet Focused Control and Diffused Mode. They also have Night Mode where the displays of the devices dim and the air purifier runs quietly but the HP04 has a Backward Mode which allows you to use the purifier without turning on the heater or the fan. The HP01 doesn’t have that feature and it always blows purified air while the fan is turned on.
While the room size coverage of the two is the same – they cover 400 square feet for air purification, heating, and cooling – the oscillation range of the HP01 and the HP04 are also significantly different. The HP04 can circulate air in the entire room because of its 350-degrees of oscillation while the HP01 enjoys 70-degrees of oscillation.
When it comes to the price, the HP04 is a lot more expensive than the HP01 because of its upgrades but it’s understandable since you get what you pay for.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How often do we need to change the filters?
A. Dyson suggests that the filters should be changed at least once a year based on its running 12hrs/ day.
Q. What is the difference between the HP01 and the HP04?
A. The biggest difference between the HP01 and the HP04 is the WiFi connectivity.
Q. Are they effective in heating a small bedroom?
A. Yes, the HP01 and the HP04 can heat an entire bedroom about 800 square feet.
Q. Can they filter out bad odors?
A. Yes, the units have an Active Carbon filter which captures toxins and bad odors.
Q. Can you control the device through the Dyson Link App?
A. The HP01 does not have WiFi connectivity so it can’t connect to the Dyson Link App but the HP04 can be controlled from the app.
Q. Can you turn off the WiFi connection?
A. Yes, the WiFi feature can be turned off.
Q. Do they have warranties?
A. Yes, both the HP01 and the HP04 have warranties and Dyson will replace or repair any of their items if it’s damaged.
Q. Will the air purifier work even if the fan is not turned on?
A. The HP04 can run the air purifier on its own but the HP01 can’t because the HP01 does not support the Backward Mode and can not run the purifier without the fan.
Q. Are the items returnable?
A. Yes, they are returnable as is any Amazon item and use the same policy.
Q. Will it work without the remote?
A. The HP04 will work without the remote because it can connect itself to WiFi but the HP01 can’t work without the remote control because it does not support WiFi and therefore can’t link itself to the Dyson Link App.
What to like about the HP01?
- It is cheaper than HP04.
- It is a simple machine but it gets the job done.
- It is not confusing to use because it doesn’t have any fancy features.
What to like about the HP04?
- It has a display that allows you to check what kind of pollutants are in the room.
- It has a Backward Mode which will let you purify the air even if the fan or the heater is turned off.
- It’s WiFi-enabled, can be linked to the Dyson Link app, and is available for voice command through smart home technologies like Alexa.
The Dyson Pure Hot + Cool’s HP01 and HP04 are great fan purifiers because they deliver results and you get your money’s worth. The fans from the Pure Hot + Cool lineup all have three functions: purifier, heater, and fan. The HP01 and the HP04 have a lot of differences because of the upgrades made to the HP04 overtime. The units are both safe for babies and pets because their blades are hidden. They are also allergy and asthma friendly. The big difference lies in the WiFi connectivity feature of the HP04 but other than that, they are identical in terms of build and functions. If you are torn which to pick here are the things that you might want to look at:
- If you are looking for a simple purifier fan that does the job, you can get the HP01.
- If you want to save money, opt for the HP01. It’s decent enough to purify the air, provide heat, and cools you too on hot days.
- If you are after the WiFi connectivity, the benefits of the Dyson Link App and smart home compatibility, choose the HP04.
- If you want to learn more about the air pollutants in your room, HP04 is the best pick.
The HP01 is okay. It’s a great machine but, if I were to choose what unit to get between the two Dyson Pure Hot + Cool series, I will choose the HP04. Yes it’s a little pricey but the benefits that you’ll be getting are worth it. The filters are upgraded and you can connect it to the Dyson Link App and Alexa plus with the technology that we have these days, WiFi is really important, although not all appliances need to have WiFi connectivity. I enjoy the ability to control my devices while away, but it is not a deal breaker if it doesn’t have WiFi.