If you are looking for a high-quality air purifier, you might want to check out the Dyson TP01 and TP04 from Dyson’s Pure Cool Tower Series (TP Series). These two units from Dyson have dual functionalities – air purification and cooling.
The TP01 is the first model Dyson released from the TP Series while the TP04 is the fourth generation upgrade of the TP01. The original 70 degrees of oscillation of the TP01 was upgraded to 350 degrees for the TP04. The Dyson TP04 also has WiFi connectivity and links with the Dyson Link App for real time reports and many more. It is also Amazon Alexa enabled which means you can voice control the device.
If you want to know more about the differences, similarities, and specifications of TP01 and TP04, read on as we break it down one by one for you.
- 1 Differences between the Dyson TP01 and the TP04
- 2 Similarities between the Dyson TP01 and the TP04
- 3 Comparison Table
- 4 Comparing the Dyson TP01 vs TP04 in Detail
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5.1 Q. How many filters do the TP01 and TP04 have?
- 5.2 Q. How many square feet can the fans cover?
- 5.3 Q. How often should the filter be changed?
- 5.4 Q. Where can I get a replacement filter for TP01 and TP04?
- 5.5 Q. Can the Dyson Link App control more than one device?
- 5.6 Q. Do the TP01 and TP04 have warranties?
- 5.7 Q. Will the TP01 and TP04 work even without the filter?
- 5.8 Q. Is the filter of TP01/TP04 washable?
- 5.9 Q. Will the TP01 and TP04 remove household odors?
- 6 What to like about the TP01?
- 7 What to like about the TP04?
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 Verdict
Differences between the Dyson TP01 and the TP04
- The TP01 has an oscillation of 70 degrees while the TP04 has 350 degrees.
- The TP01 is more affordable than TP04.
- The TP04 is WiFi-enabled and can be linked to the Dyson app and to Amazon Alexa.
- The TP04 sends real time reports through the Dyson Link App.
- The TP04 also uses a more advanced Glass HEPA Media filter while the TP01 uses the 360 Glass HEPA filter.
- The TP04 is slightly taller and heavier than the TP01.
- The TP04 comes with an extra inner carbon filter and HEPA filter.
Similarities between the Dyson TP01 and the TP04
- The TP01 and TP04 are both powered by Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology.
- The blades of TP01 and TP04 are not exposed.
- They both have dual functions: air purifying and cooling.
- The TP01 and TP04 both have Activated Carbon.
- The TP01 and TP04 both have remote controls.
- The TP01 and TP04 are both easy and safe to clean.
The table below provides the specifications for the TP01 and the TP02:
|Style||Tower and bladeless||Tower and bladeless|
|Jet Focus Control mode||No||Yes|
|Oscillation||70 degrees||350 degrees|
|● Remote Control|
|Accessories||Remote Control||● Inner Carbon Filter|
|● HEPA filter|
|Filter||360 Glass HEPA with Activated Carbon||Glass HEPA Media and Activated Carbon|
|WiFi connectivity, Dyson Link App, and Alexa compatibility||No||Yes|
|Weight||8.4 lbs||10.98 lbs|
|Height||40 inches||41.5 inches|
|Price||Check on Amazon||Check on Amazon|
Comparing the Dyson TP01 vs TP04 in Detail
The TP01 and TP04 are both from the Pure Cool Tower Series (TP Series) which is designed for large spaces – meaning both the TP01 and TP04 are capable of providing purified air even in large rooms. The TP01 and TP04 have a lot of differences, I can say that the TP01 is very basic while the TP04 is more advanced because of the upgrades Dyson made to the latter. The TP04 was the fourth generation of the TP01 so the advancements made were to be expected.
The similarities between the two lies in their design. They still look very similar despite the internal changes on the TP04. The TP01 and TP04 both have the same tower-style build and a narrow elongated oblong amp. They are also both powered by Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology which makes it possible for these two machines to not have exposed spinning blades. They also come without metal grills making it easy and hassle-free to wipe them clean. Despite the same design and build, the TP04 is slightly taller and heavier than the TP01.
The TP01 and the TP04 also have the same air purifying and cooling functions. They are mainly created to purify the air but they can also act as a fan during hot days. Although they have different air filtration systems, both of them are fixed with Activated Carbon. They are also both certified asthma and allergy friendly by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
The TP01 has a 360 Glass HEPA filter with Active Carbon while the TP04 has a Glass HEPA Media filter with Active Carbon. The TP01 and TP04 are both capable of filtering 99.97% of microscopic airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns including ultra-fine dust, allergens, pollens, and other air pollutants in your space. The Active Carbon, on the other hand, traps the fumes, smoke, gases, toxins, bad odors, and VOCs (Volatile Organic Compound).
The TP04 supports WiFi while the TP01 is not. The WiFi feature of the TP04 makes it powerful because you can control it through your mobile phone just by downloading the Dyson Link App from the App Store or Google Play Store. The Dyson Link App lets you adjust the settings of the TP04 and you can also see real time air quality reports through it. The WiFi connectivity also enables Amazon Alexa making it possible for you to voice command the device.
The TP04 has an oscillation of 350 degrees, a stretch from TP01’s 70 degrees. It also comes with a remote control, an extra inner carbon filter, and extra HEPA filter unlike the TP01 which only comes with the remote control. The remote control accessories of both the TP01 and Tp04 are for easier access to devices so you won’t have to physically reach for them if you want to change the settings or the temperature.
Another plus for the TP04 is its modes. It has an Auto mode which automatically adjusts the airflow of your machine, checks the quality of air, and turns the device on or off; Night mode which sets your machine to its most quiet settings as it dims the light of the display– perfect for when you are sleeping; Jet Focus mode for a more direct and focused air flow; Diffused mode for a broader air distribution; and Backward Airflow mode that allows you to turn off the fan or the cooling feature if you only want to turn on the air purifier. Meanwhile, the TP01 does not have any of these modes, meaning you have to adjust the settings manually.
Aside from that, the TP04 also has a Child Safe feature, a unique feature from Dyson, that automatically turns the device off when it’s accidentally knocked over. This feature is great for when you have kids or pets running around the house.
When it comes to the price, the TP04 is more expensive than its predecessor, TP01, because of the advancements like the upgraded filter and oscillation, the WiFi connectivity, oscillation of 350 degrees, and the extra modes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How many filters do the TP01 and TP04 have?
A. The TP01 and TP04 only have one filter each: 360 Glass HEPA filter with Active Carbon for TP01 and Glass HEPA Media filter with Active Carbon for TP04.
Q. How many square feet can the fans cover?
A. The TP Series is designed to cover larger spaces so the TP01 and TP04 should cover huge rooms without any problems.
Q. How often should the filter be changed?
A. Dyson suggests changing the filters at least once a year but it is usually indicated on the display of the device when you have to change the filter already. Replacement filters are available at their stores. Authentic Dyson filter is recommended.
Q. Can the TP01 and TP04 cool the air more than traditional fans you see in the market?
A. Yes, because Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology moves a lot of air and distributes it better than the average fan.
Q. Where can I get a replacement filter for TP01 and TP04?
A. You can get the filter cartridges on Dyson. It is also available on Amazon.
Q. Can the Dyson Link App control more than one device?
A. Yes, the Dyson Link App can control more than one unit as long as it supports WiFi. The Dyson Link App does not work on the TP01 because it is not WiFi-enabled.
Q. Do the TP01 and TP04 have warranties?
A.Yes, both the TP01 and the TP04 have warranties and Dyson will replace or repair any of their items if it’s damaged.
Q. Will the TP01 and TP04 work even without the filter?
A. No, the filters of both the TP01 and TP02 are part of their base and the purifiers won’t work without them.
Q. Is the filter of TP01/TP04 washable?
A. No, the filters of TP01 nor TP04 are not washable and you have to replace them once the unit notifies you to.
Q. Will the TP01 and TP04 remove household odors?
A. Yes, both the TP01 and TP04 have Active Carbon that captures household odors, gases, fumes, smoke, and VOCs effectively.
What to like about the TP01?
- The TP01 is more affordable than the TP02.
- The TP01 is a 2-in-1 device: an air purifier and a fan.
- The TP01 can cover large spaces.
- The TP01 has an asthma and allergy friendly certification from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
- The TP01 has a remote control which allows you to adjust the settings of the device even without physically reaching it.
- The TP01 has a HEPA filter and Active Carbon.
What to like about the TP04?
- The TP04 can oscillate up to 350 degrees and can cover large spaces.
- The TP04 has an upgraded air filtration system. It uses Glass HEPA Media filter with Active Carbon.
- The TP04 is certified asthma and allergy friendly by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
- The TP04 is WiFi-enabled which makes it possible for you to connect the device to your mobile phone through the Dyson Link App and to Amazon Alexa.
- The TP04 has an Auto mode, Night mode, Jet Focus mode, Diffused mode, and Backward Airflow mode.
- The TP04 comes with a remote control, an extra inner carbon filter, and extra HEPA filter in the box.
- The TP04 has a Child Safe feature.
The Dyson TP Series has a great model lineup and the TP01 and TP04 are very impressive machines from the series. They are ideal for people with asthma and allergies, light smokers, and pet owners. And because of their bladeless design, they are great for kids too as they do not have any visible fast-spinning blades that can cause accidents or injuries. Without the blades, there’s no grilled covers to remove, unlike your average fans, which makes them easy to clean.
If you are thinking of getting any of these air purifier fans, here are the things that you should consider:
- If you are on a tight budget, pick the TP01 because it is cheaper and it does the job. But if you are really trying to save money, try looking into other brands.
- If a WiFi feature is important for you, pick the TP04 because it supports WiFi and lets you connect your device to your mobile phone using the Dyson Link App.
- If you want the voice command feature, choose the TP04. Since the TP04 has WiFi connectivity, it has Amazon Alexa integration which allows you to voice command your machine.
- If you are okay with manually adjusting the settings of your device pick the TP01 since it does not come with any mode options. Meanwhile, the TP04 has different kinds of modes: Jet Focus mode, Auto mode, Night mode, Diffused mode, and Backward Airflow mode.
- If you have small kids and or pets in the house who love to play, pick the TP04 because it has a Child Safe feature which automatically turns the device off when tipped over.
Overall the TP Series is a good lineup and the TP01 and TP04 are both very good machines. They do the job well and they have dual-functionality– air purification and cooling, however, I think they are really expensive especially if you are someone who’s on a budget.
The Dyson TP01 is cheaper, yes, but it is very basic. It doesn’t even come in with any mode options. It’s just a plain air purifier, although I have to commend Dyson for their design and for their Air Multiplier technology. Meanwhile the TP04 does have different mode options, it has an upgraded air filtration system, it supports WiFi, and it can be connected to the Dyson Link App and Amazon Alexa, however, it is very expensive.
If you are willing to pay for an expensive air purifier, I suggest you get the Dyson TP04 because it has many features. The WiFi connectivity makes a lot of difference and even if you do not have a smart home, that feature might come in handy if you ever decided to get one. It would make your life easier because it has Alexa integration and the Dyson Link App can send you real time air quality reports and it can also act as a remote control letting you control the device even when you are not home.